Moving Pictures - Photography to Video

 "Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts – artworks, expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power. In their most general form these activities include the production of works of art, the criticism of art, the study of the history of art, and the aesthetic dissemination of art.

The oldest documented forms of art are visual arts, which include creation of images or objects in fields including painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography, and other visual media."



Little did I know that when I started working with animal rescues so many years ago that the skill I would acquire would be the one of photography and short film making.

When I first started taking pictures of the animals I work with I struggled. There was such an emotional connection with these animals that it seemed no photo I took could ever convey that connection or show the animals in the way I felt respected them most.

For years I tried to improve my craft and though it seemed that for each piece of the puzzle that came together I never got nearer my goal I seemed to never lose interest, it just made me want to try harder. Nothing else in my life ever gave me such drive and want to succeed than this and it continues to do so to this day.

I moved away from photographing animals for several years and focused my camera at many other subjects and learned several different styles. When things begin to come together and my skill got to the point that I was comfortable in many different environments I then returned, albeit with trepidation, to photographing animals.

I arrived at Mission: Wolf with camera in hand and immediately felt a sense of dread as I began to realize I was back where I started so many years earlier. Would I be able to achieve the images I have seen in my head for so many years? Would I be able to offer more than snapshot quality images of these majestic wolves? Wolves have a certain mystique and aura that can be extremely difficult to capture and convey through still images. This would likely take every bit of skill that I had learned over time to pull off the way I wanted to.

Photo by John Ramer Photography
Arrow Howling in Snow

Once I became comfortable with my surroundings I took my camera out to try my luck. With the child like joy of a young boy opening gifts on Christmas morning I began looking through images on the back of my camera and was thrilled to see what I had captured.

I still see room for improvement, I see things that I would like to improve upon every time I go out shooting... but every now and then I feel as though I can almost capture the magic these amazing creatures hold.

By John Ramer Photography
A snowy gaze.

As I spend more time photographing wolves I find myself struggling to share my personal and unique experience with them. Which is why I am focusing more on video work than I ever had in the past.

Video has opened up new avenues for expressing my emotion and respect for wolves. The tools available allow the viewer to get a clearer more defined look at what may have been in my head and heart at the time.



I am enjoying the time I invest into video work and look forward to sharing more with you all as my adventures continue and my skill set improves.

John

John Ramer - Landscape and Fine Art Photographer
Powered by Blogger.